Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Vacation planning is for the birds.

So, I have spent a ton of time online the past few days attempting to nail down our flights and hotel rooms for the bar trip Bill and I decided to go on to Europe. Now, considering I've never undertaken such a huge amount of planning for anything like this before, I think I'm doing rather well, but some things are just hard to figure out.
For instance, it is very difficult to figure out train travel. It took me two days of looking at various sites to decide that I should get an Italy train pass and then just buy our other tickets point-to-point.
And for countries that are supposed to be so close together, why does the train between Innsbruck and Paris take 11 hours? I don't want to have to give up my hotel in Innsbruck to take an overnight train, because it's awesome (Mozart slept there!), but I also don't want to only have one day in Paris because it takes all day to get there. This stinks. Any ideas?
Other than that, I'm pretty pleased. I have officially nailed down accommodations for Rome, Innsbruck, Paris, and London, and am very close for Florence and Venice. The only place I haven't gotten at least a positive reply for is Cinque Terre. Hopefully the other hotelier there will reply to me tomorrow.
I swear, this is stressful and I will need another vacation just to recover from vacation planning. At least once I'm done with this, hopefully our actual trip in August will go off without a hitch. I know the places I'm booking will be good (they're endorsed by reputable guidebooks). I have been to most of the cities we're visiting before and I know Bill will be pleased with the sightseeing part. I'm really looking forward to seeing them again.
So, anyway, just thought I'd let the folks know what I've been up to. Please reply with any ideas you may have about my Innsbruck to Paris dilemma. I already looked at flights--most of them are too expensive, and the cheap one leaves early from Munich. How would I get there from Innsbruck in time? Ugh. Anyway, post away please!

K

UPDATE--4/13
I have now confirmed our hotel in Venice, and I grabbed some cheapie plane tickets from Munich to Paris so we get there in the morning instead of at night. Now we just have to finagle our way to Munich from Innsbruck. Easy, no? ;-)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I want to go to Europe! Your trip sounds like fun. Never having been there or traveled by train (except at the zoo), I can't help you with your dilemma. However, it is good that you are keeping your mind active over Spring Break, and I am sure you will find a good solution!