Monday, April 23, 2007

A word nerd's complaint...

For anyone who watches the Discovery Channel as much as I do (I love me some MythBusters), you may have noticed their promos for their "Manday night lineup" on "Manday night." As much as I realize the phonic similarity between their made-up word and Monday, I can't help but think that it's etymologically wrong. So, as a true word nerd, I looked up the etymology of the word Monday:
Monday
O.E. monandæg "day of the moon," from mona (gen. monan) + dæg (see day).

Then, I wanted to make sure I understood the association societies have made to the moon, so I called up my good friend Wikipedia:
The Moon has figured in many mythologies, often paired or contrasted with the Sun (see also Solar deity).

The monthly cycle of the moon, in contrast to the annual cycle of the sun's path, has been implicitly linked to women's menstrual cycles by many cultures, although rarely explicitly stated. Many of the most well-known mythologies feature female lunar deities, such as the Greek goddesses Selene and Phoebe and their Olympian successor Artemis, their Roman equivalents Luna and Diana, or the Thracian Bendis. These cultures almost invariably featured a male sun god.


I'll finish this later. My husband wants his computer back.

No comments: